Are you interested in a Paid Summer Internship Opportunity with The Star Spot?
The Star Spot is a space themed podcast and radio show focusing on all aspects of astronomy and space exploration. The show was awarded “New and Notable” on iTunes and has been featured on CBC’s Podcast Playlist as well as InnerSpace, the flagship program of Canada’s space channel. The Star Spot has interviewed Nobel laureates, astronauts and leaders of major international space missions. It is available on Ryerson Radio, iTunes and at www.thestarspot.ca.
We have been provided with a grant from Canada Summer Jobs to hire an intern to work 32 hours/week during July and August 2019. The position will focus on fundraising, marketing and communication, with the goal of growing the show’s resources and reach. Please note that unlike previous years, the Canada Summer Jobs program is now open to both students and non-students, although candidates must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
Applications Due: June 21, 2019
Start Date: July 8, 2019
Status: Full-time, 8 weeks, 32 hours/week
How to Apply: Review the eligibility requirements below. If you are interested, available, and eligible for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume as text, word or PDF attachment, to Executive Producer Justin Trottier at email@example.com.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop fundraising communication materials for various audiences.
- Prepare and submit grant applications.
- Develop a corporate fundraising program.
- Maintain and build relationships with grantors and sponsors.
- Direct or coordinate web-based fundraising activities using the website and social media.
- Research grant and sponsorship opportunities that meet the unique needs of the organization.
- Identify unique sources of individual or organizational financial support and submit.
- Develop a university and college targeted fundraising campaign.
Marketing and Development
- Assist in developing communication material for various audiences across several channels (website, social media, email blasts, print advertisements).
- Develop concrete relationships with new partners, including university departments, nonprofits, industry groups and other podcasts/radio shows.
- Build our online and social media outreach in existing and new channels.
- Grow our online and social media audience through well developed social media campaigns, with a focus on reaching students and youth.
- Develop tools to track and analyze online audience growth.
- Develop mechanisms for enhancing relationships with listeners.
Skills, Attributes and Qualifications
To be eligible, the Canada Summer Jobs program requires that an applicant:
- (a) is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- (b) is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and
- (c) is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
Background and Experience
- Completion or in-process of acquiring relevant post-secondary degree, diploma, or certificate from an accredited post-secondary institution. Target domains of study include fundraising, development, marketing, communications, public relations, advertising, promotions, journalism or related areas.
- Experience in grant writing and fundraising ideal.
- Experience in marketing, public relations, relationship management, communications and content creation ideal.
- Experience in public relations, marketing, communication.
- Experience with marketing campaigns on social media helpful.
- Appreciation and basic understanding for science ideal.
Personality and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, well-structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals and to develop associated visuals.
- Ability to build strong relationships
- Outstanding organizing, project management, time management and planning skills.
- Ability to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace.
- Resourceful and proactive in resolving challenges and finding solutions.
- Ability to identify and summarize relevant information.
- Independent self-starter capable of managing and prioritizing multiple, time-sensitive priorities.
- Assertive but not aggressive.
- Knowledge of Adobe creative cloud software a considerable asset.
- High familiarity with common social media networks.
- Hands-on experience with WordPress, SEO and Google Analytics helpful.